Follow us on Facebook

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

That little crush

I was in the operating theater the whole day yesterday. There were four elective and one emergency operations altogether. Well, I think I like working in the OT than in the ward. But it also depends  on which bosses you will be working with. Lucky me, I got the nice ones. I-dont-care-whatever-you-do type of boss would be fine too as long as it's not the ones that would scold and shout at you even for the smallest thing.

The surgeons are nice and so are the registrar and MO. In one of the surgeries, I was given an opportunity to close up the skin as well as using the diathermy. Yes, it is a BIG deal to me coz as a houseman, all you do is sucking blood and fluids (using suction of course lol!), retracting skin and muscles, cutting sutures, etc. You know, the less important stuff. Well, they'll let you do some suturing if you ask for it or only if the boss in charge is nice. The registrar patiently taught me how to suture the skin step-by-step. (Had done this during medical student years but it was ages ago).

Dr X: Make sure the gap between the sutures and the depth is 1 cm long. *demonstrates*
Me: Okay, got it.
After a few sutures, it was the time for me to try...
While suturing slowly with my unsteady hands, suddenly a voice appeared out of nowhere.
Dr Y: Oi! Lembabnya jahit. Cepat sikit. Apa ni, berapa lama lagi nak tunggu ha?
Me: *wait, this voice sounded familiar and so I looked up* Dr. Y! 
Dr Y: Ha, cepat jahit! Apa ahhh. Tangan terketar-ketar. Tak makan ke?
Me: Puasa boss..
Dr X: Nevermind. Don't listen to him! Just do it slowly. My first suture, I did 5 in 40 minutes.
Dr Y: Cepat, cepat, cepat!
Me: Gahhhhh. *stressed face*
Dr Y: Hahahaha.. Just kidding. Ha, bagus-bagus. Tu jahit ke sana sikit. To your left. Yes, yes.
Me: -________-"

Nak nangis boleh tak? Bengong betul. Buat orang cuak jek. In the end, I finished suturing in 20 minutes? Haha.. After the surgery ended..

Dr X: So, wanna take up surgery? Dah bolehlah ni.
Me: Ha? Susahlah boss. I buat lambat. I need to practise more.
Dr X: Eh no lah. You did well! Not like some people, kaku je tangan.
Me: Ehehe. Thanks boss. *malu*

Hahahahaha. So this explains my little crush.

Ps: Dr X and Dr Y are both registrars.
Pps: Dr Y is Chinese and he speaks Malay most of the time.
Ppps: Apparently Dr X is single. Anyone interested? *winks*

No comments:

Post a Comment