Follow us on Facebook

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I need to be more kiasu

Had a discussion with an Orthopedic consultant this morning. Each of us was given a topic and asked to find a patient related to our own topic. Mine was Degenerative Disease and of course, I couldn't find any patients in the ward. The only choice is to find them in the Orthopedic Polyclinic. Honestly, I would rather find a patient in the ward for case presentation since you could always go back and forth to the patient whenever you missed something (history-taking, physical examinations). Well, you can't do that in the Polyclinic, obviously! I had a very limited time to do history-taking and physical examinations since there were soooo many patients waiting to be examined. I couldn't take my own sweet time, you see!

The consultant asked me to present my case unexpectedly today. It was supposed to be tomorrow so I didn't really prepare much. My case was about a 71-year-old female with bilateral knee osteoarthritis. She already had total knee replacement in her left knee and was scheduled to have another knee replacement in the contralateral knee. I was being shot a lot of questions from A to Z and most importantly, he asked me why I didn't do a complete knee examination. I only performed the usual Look, Feel and Move but totally forgot about the specific knee examinations such as Lachman test, anterior and posterior drawer tests, patellar ballottement and the list goes on.

Well, you know, being ME, I told him honestly that I didn't perform those examinations. Anddddd he started to give a long lecture on how I should be more enthusiastic and comprehensive in handling a patient. Seriously rasa macam orang paling bodoh kat dunia ni. Okay, exaggerates pulak. Hihi~ I hate "the" feeling. Like I'm not competent enough. After the long lecture, he stopped and said that he liked my honesty and he said it's okay since I'm still in the process of learning. Maybe he thought that I looked as if I was about to cry kot? Hahahaha.

Baiklah doktor! Saya akan cuba menjadi lebih kiasu dalam proses pembelajaran saya. ^__^

Ps. Some of my group mates didn't even see their patients. Their presentation was solely based on the medical records written by the residents. Well, at least I did everything on my own and I'm proud of my own hard work even though it was nowhere near perfect. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment