Follow us on Facebook

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

End of 5th year clinical rotation

Had my Ophthalmology finals today. Man, it was rather nerve-wrecking. The exam was supposed to be yesterday actually. I was given a patient with immature senile cataract in the right eye and post-cataract surgery with intraocular lens in the left eye. The patient had to bear with me for the whole 2 hours! I did history-taking, ophthalmological examination and a complete medical record. Yes, I made the diagnosis myself and my by-sitter wasn't being helpful either. It was an easy case thank God. It would be difficult if I were to get cases such as retinopathy or infections. But apparently, my patient did have hypertension so there is still possibility of her having hypertensive retinopathy. Not to mention, her intraocular pressure was slightly higher (21.9 mmHg) in the right eye with a huge difference between both eyes (9 mmHg in the fellow eye). I still need to rule out Chronic Glaucoma then.

....

Sorry for all the medical terms used. Well, the exam went pretty well I think. Though I had to wait like for almost 3 and a half hours! My by-sitter (an Ophthal resident) was supposed to let me know the exam was gonna start at 11am instead of 8am but she didn't! I ended up waiting for her like a fool. -___-" It wouldn't hurt to let me know, would it? She even replied my message with an "OK". I seriously hate that two-letter word as a reply. I thought I was going insane. Urghhh..

Anyway, the consultant was nice though most of the time she had this scary look on her face. Idk. She looked like she was gonna eat me anytime soon. lol. But it turned out that she was superrr nice! She didn't even smile when I entered the exam room, making me nervous like hell! But as the exam went along, I was able to relax a bit. She seemed to be satisfied with my answers. Well, of course there were questions I wasn't able to answer but heck yeah. It was supposed to be that way anyway. What do you guys expect from a 2-week worth of experience?

I'm guessing the prognosis for my exam today was dubia ad bonam. I can't be sure I'm gonna get good grade anyway. Clinical years are so unpredictable. The scoring and everything are so subjective and luck plays a big role here. You see, there are many types of examiner that I have encountered. Some would give you like killer questions and would give good score if you're able to answer them. Some would ask something that is totally non-medical-related and usually you won't be able to answer them. Some give simple questions but the score would be low even you can answer them all correctly. And some even...

feels happy whenever you can't answer their questions. Yes. I'm telling you the truth.

Gahhh.. See what I mean? Oh yeah, you know those professors?? Even worse. Sometimes I just don't get the questions. I didn't know what they wanted and they didn't get what I was trying to say. Haha..


Conclusion: It might just be a matter of bad communication or they're just too smart. -__-" Oh, or rather, I'm just too stupid to understand them. HAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment